William G. Skelly was the embodiment of the qualities which earned for Tulsa the title “Oil Capital of the World.”  When Skelly arrived in Tulsa in 1912, he was already a seasoned veteran of the oil industry.   With the founding of Skelly Oil in 1919, a bond was forged between Skelly and Tulsa that would last for generations.  His devotion to the city is evidenced by the growth of the University of Tulsa, the Tulsa Municipal Airport, the YMCA and many more institutions which relied upon Skelly’s determination and his famous “stud horse note” for their very existence.

Tulsa Historical Society & Museum
WordPress Video Lightbox